Exposition


This blog is dedicated to providing assistance to all those who need answers about the world of Wide format printing.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

How I install Windows 7 drivers on Window 8 (or Windows 10) computers

The recent demise of the Windows XP operating system has led a good many of my customers to migrate to windows computers in their offices.  I thought I would explain a tip I found on the internet that has helped me when I am installing Xerox drivers that were originally intended  for Windows 7 on to Windows 8 computers. 

Below I have pasted  the few lines of instructions  a friend passed along to me.  The instructions show how to set up Windows 8 for  unsigned Windows 7 64 bit Drivers:
__________________________________________________________________

Install unsigned drivers in windows 8 this way
I had a problems installing unsigned drivers in Windows 8 and the steps below worked for me.

Windows Key + R
Enter shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
Click the "OK" button
System will restart to a "Choose an option" screen
Select "Troubleshoot" from "Choose an option" screen
Select "Advanced options" from "Troubleshoot" screen
Select "Windows Startup Settings" from "Advanced options" screen
Click "Restart" button
System will restart to "Advanced Boot Options" screen
Select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"
Once the system starts, install the drivers as you would on Windows 7
_________________________________________________________________________

The only problem I have with these instructions is that most people including myself have a problem with the 2nd line.  You don't need to type in Enter in front of Shutdown.   In fact I have never been able to type the instructions in the 2nd line without some syntax error occurring so I usually just cut and past everything after Enter.  The rest of the instructions are pretty clear so I don't think I need to explain them. 

As far as Xerox wide formats go I have been able to run everything from a 12 year old 8825 with the original controller to the latest 6204 in Windows 8 with no problems.  

Also I recommend for my customers who don't like being without the start screen in Windows 8 that they go to stardock.com where they can purchase the windows 7 start screen app for windows 8.

The Stardock screen costs about 5 dollars but it has saved me much more than that in time saved  teaching and re teaching customers and new Windows 8 users how to find the printers in Windows 8.  

I believe the Window 8.1 OS will have a start button and desktop screen as an option but I have not seen it for my self.  


Windows 8 is a good OS and Older Xerox wide formats can be made compatible with it. I tell my customers not to push their old Xerox 8830, 510 or 6204 out the door and into the scrap bin till they have tried this.   Many of the new KIP, OCE , and Ricoh owners who I tell about this tip literally cry out in agony when they discover they could have continued with the rock solid Xerox equipment that has been in their offices for as much as a decade.  

Hope someone finds this information useful.



4 comments: